Blog Search on 4C Media

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The People's Seat


The People’s Seat

I thank the people of Massachusetts for electing me as your next United States senator. Every day I hold this office, I will give all that is in me to serve you well and make you proud.   Most of all, I will remember that while the honor is mine, this Senate seat belongs to no one person and no political party - and as I have said before, and you said loud and clear today, it is the people’s seat.    GOP Senator Scott Brown R-Mass
In a stunning upset to the Democrat dominated the state of Massachusetts, Scott Brown overcame the political odds as a long shot GOP candidate in a “deep blue state” to become the 41st vote for the Republicans in the US Senate.   Running down by as much as 20 points in the late fall, candidate Brown closed the gap over the Christmas and New Year’s Holiday period, as his “retail campaign” and now famous GMC truck rambled across the home state of John Adams seeking votes.

Brown will become the 41st Republican in the 100-member Senate, which could allow the GOP to block the president's health care legislation. Democrats needed Coakley to win for a 60th vote to thwart Republican filibusters. The trouble may go deeper: Democratic lawmakers could read the results as a vote against Obama's broader agenda, weakening their support for the president. And the results could scare some Democrats from seeking office this fall.

This little campaign of ours was destined for greater things than any of us knew, and the message went far beyond the name on the sign.  It all started with me, my truck, and a few dedicated volunteers. It ended with Air Force One making an emergency run to Logan. I didn't mind when President Obama came here and criticized me - that happens in campaigns. But when he criticized my truck, that's where I draw the line.
We had the machine scared and scrambling, and for them it is just the beginning of an election year filled with surprises. They will be challenged again and again across this country. When there’s trouble in Massachusetts, there’s trouble everywhere - and now they know it.
In every corner of our state, I met with people, looked them in the eye, shook their hand, and asked them for their vote. I didn’t worry about their party affiliation, and they didn’t worry about mine. It was simply shared conviction that brought us all together. 
Prepared remarks, Republican US Senator Scott Brown, R-Mass

No comments: